Since ancient times, honey has been famous for its excellent taste and aroma. Its composition is unique, it is extremely useful. But in the period of lactation, honey should be used with great caution, since it often causes allergic reactions. How to properly nursing mom to enter this product into the diet in order to get maximum benefit from it and not harm the baby?
Is it possible to eat honey during breastfeeding
Bee honey - nectar of flowers collected and processed by bees. This is a viscous sweet substance of amber color, containing vitamins and minerals, carbohydrates, enzymes and organic acids, which has bactericidal and anti-inflammatory properties. The chemical composition of honey is close to the composition of human blood plasma, so it is easily absorbed. Its taste and aroma differ depending on the colors from which the nectar was collected - lime, buckwheat, heather, acacia, clover. Flower - collected from inflorescences of different plants.Bee honey is nectar partially digested in the goiter of a honeybee.
Useful properties of the product are also largely dependent on its grade:
- Acacia is considered the least allergenic, has a characteristic aroma of blooming acacia;
- buckwheat and chestnut rich in vitamins, accelerate metabolic processes and have a tonic effect;
- lime and rowan are famous for their immunostimulating and anti-inflammatory properties;
- Lemon balm, motherwort, choppy soothe and strengthen the nervous system, normalize sleep;
- Clover, known for its lactogenic properties, stimulates hematopoietic function.
The composition and properties, color and texture, taste and aroma of honey depend on its grade.
Traditional healers for the treatment of their patients use honey of different varieties, honey tinctures and compresses, as well as other beekeeping products - propolis, pergu, bee stalk, royal jelly. The unique properties of honey have long been recognized and officially medicine.
The composition and beneficial properties of the product
Honey can be safely called natural dietary supplement, natural energy. Having in its composition up to 76% of easily digestible sugars (sucrose, fructose), it quickly and effectively restores strength, gives energy, invigorates, gives pleasure to its taste, improves mood, general vitality and well-being. Vitamins and minerals in its composition replenish the reserves of useful bioactive substances in the body of a nursing mother, increase the quality of lactation.
In the people there is a perception that honey improves the taste of mother's milk. This fact is not scientifically proven. But if we consider that breast milk is produced from the components of the mother’s blood, we can assume that its taste hardly depends on the taste characteristics of the food consumed by the woman. But the substances that are part of honey can have a tangible effect on the body of a nursing mother. They enter the systemic circulation and, therefore, are able to influence the health of the baby.
Table: chemical composition, energy value and benefits of honey
|Element||Amount of 10 g of honey||Norm for nursing mothers per day|
|Calorie content||32.8 kcal||1356 kcal|
|Proteins - take part in the process of blood formation, hemoglobin synthesis, cell construction, they become the cause of the development of allergic reactions after the use of honey||0.08 g||76 g|
|Carbohydrates - when they are broken down, energy is released by the body during vital activity||8 g||127 g|
|Vitamin B5, pantothenic - is involved in the uptake of proteins, fats, carbohydrates and the production of energy by the cells, stimulates the production of hormones by the adrenal cortex, slows cell aging||0.01 mg||7 mg|
|Vitamin B6, pyridoxine - controls the level of glucose in the body, normalizes the balance of sodium and potassium in fluids, provides the exchange of amino acids||0.01 mg||2.5 mg|
|Vitamin C, ascorbic - stimulates the immune system, improves the absorption of iron, normalizes digestion||0.2 mg||120 mg|
|Vitamin PP, NE - a member of the fat metabolism, controls the level of cholesterol in the blood, accelerates the processes of regeneration and growth||0.04 mg||23 mg|
|Vitamin H, biotin - regulates blood sugar levels, takes part in tissue formation, protein and carbohydrate metabolism||0.05 mg|
|Potassium, K - controls acid-salt balance in liquids, normalizes blood pressure, participates in cell respiration||3.6 mg||2500 mg|
|Calcium, Ca - is responsible for the formation of bones, regulates muscle tone, normalizes the work of the heart muscle and nerve cells||1.4 mg||1400 mg|
|Sodium, Na - performs regulatory and transport functions (regulates water-salt metabolism, transports beneficial substances to tissues), dilates blood vessels||1 mg||1300 mg|
|Phosphorus, Ph - takes part in the processes of bone formation and cell growth, normalizes the kidneys, increases mental and muscular activity||1.8 mg||1000 mg|
|Chlorine, Cl - a participant of fat metabolism, stimulates the digestion and liver function, removes toxins and slags from the body||1.9 mg||2300 mg|
|Iron, Fe - is a part of hemoglobin, initiates oxygen metabolism, synthesis of proteins and enzymes, normalizes the functioning of the thyroid gland, immune and nervous systems||0.08 mg||18 mg|
|Fluorine, F - necessary for the absorption of iron and the normal course of bone mineralization, contributes to the proper formation of the skeleton and the rapid accretion of bones after injuries, removes heavy metals from the body||0.01 mg||4 mg|
|Mono - and disaccharides (sugars) - easily digestible, provide the body with energy, participate in metabolic processes, soothe, improve health and sleep||74.6 g||max 100 g|
Recipes by default use the following measures:
- 1 tbsp. l liquid honey - 24-30 g, thickened with a slide - 21-27 g (depending on the variety);
- 1 tsp liquid honey - 8-10 g, thickened with a slide - 7-8 g (depending on the variety);
- on average, in a tablespoon about 30 g, in a tea spoon, about 10 g of honey.
If you compare honey with sugar, the difference in calories is not so noticeable (honey - 328 kcal / 100 g, sugar - 380 kcal / 100 g). But honey is twice as sweet. So, add to drinks, desserts, baking honey need half the amount of sugar. Why calorie consumption of food is reduced, and the chances of keeping a slim figure increase.
In addition, nursing mother honey is useful to use:
- for recuperation in the postpartum period, providing the necessary energy;
- to prevent the development of postpartum depression;
- to improve the state of the nervous system, combat sleep disorders;
- to normalize metabolic processes, to stimulate and improve the quality of lactation;
- to strengthen the immune system, replenish the reserves of vitamins and minerals;
- to fight any foci of inflammation in the body;
- to normalize blood pressure and eliminate swelling;
- to stimulate the cardiovascular system;
- to improve brain activity;
- to enhance mood and overall vitality.
There is honey during breastfeeding (HB) is possible and necessary, only before you try it after giving birth, you should always consult with your doctor. There are a number of contraindications and restrictions regarding the use of bee products during lactation. It is also necessary to know when it is possible and how to properly feed a mother injecting honey into her diet.
Medical science does not know any specific prohibitions regarding the nutrition of a nursing woman. It is clear that such things as alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, we take out of brackets and do not consider at all. If you really want something, so why not try? After all, when a woman clearly sees a connection between the use of any products and the well-being of the child, she herself will refuse such products. But if you and your child feel normal, there are no problems, so why limit yourself? Eat on health!
E. O. Komarovsky, pediatrician
Video: than honey is useful for the body
Contraindications and precautions during lactation
The presence in the history (history of the disease) of some chronic diseases may be the reason for the ban on the inclusion of honey in the menu of a nursing mother. Individual intolerance to pollen is a direct contraindication to the use of this natural delicacy. If one of the parents before the conception of the child was diagnosed with any food allergies, during lactation this mother product is also not recommended.
When breastfeeding honey is contraindicated in women:
- with diabetes mellitus of the first type (with the disease of the second type, the minimum recommended norms should be strictly observed and after drinking honey, check the blood sugar level);
- with chronic diseases of the respiratory system - obstructive bronchitis, bronchial asthma (due to the risk of developing bronchospasm, edema, asphyxiation due to a reaction to the use of honey);
- with digestive disorders - pancreatitis and gastritis in the acute stage;
- with urolithiasis or gallstone disease.
The rate of consumption of honey for nursing mothers varies depending on the age of infants:
- while in the newborn period the infant's digestive system develops and is colonized with beneficial microflora, a woman should follow a hypoallergenic diet and refuse honey for a while;
- when the crumbs turn 3-4 months old, mom will be able to eat at 0.5-1 t. l. honey every 2-3 days;
- after six months after the birth of the baby (and before the end of lactation), the breastfeeding woman is allowed to eat honey for 1 tsp. everyday.
One of the symptoms of an allergic reaction to honey in infants may be a rash on the skin of varying severity.
Often, problems with digestion and allergic reactions in a baby are the result of his mother’s excessive use of certain products. Therefore, it is important to know and comply with the rules, especially when it comes to products with a high degree of allergenicity.
Allergy in infants
The reaction to honey in an infant can occur both as a result of a single use of the product by the nursing mother (even within the permitted amount), and after regular exceeding the recommended norms.
Allergies in children are recognized by the presence of typical signs:
- redness, rash and itching of the skin;
- swelling of the mucous membranes - eyes, nasopharynx, respiratory tract;
- increased saliva, rhinitis;
- digestive disorders - flatulence, diarrhea, intestinal colic.
If you find similar symptoms in your child, it is imperative to seek help from a pediatrician. And mum needs to exclude allergen from the menu, at least, for a month. After that, you can try honey again.
In order to protect the baby from the adverse effects of allergies during breastfeeding, any product in the nursing mother’s menu is added only after it has been properly tested - introduced into the diet.
How to introduce honey into the diet of women during breastfeeding? Eat it should be started gradually, with small doses, every day by doubling the serving:
- 1st day - ¼ h. L .;
- 2nd day - observe the reaction of the organism to the product;
- 3rd day - in the absence of characteristic symptoms of allergy, ½ tsp;
- 4th day - watching again;
- 3rd day - if mom and baby feel good - 1 tsp.
In this case, you should follow the rules
- samples can be started only when the child is completely healthy and his teeth are not being cut;
- at the same time, only one new product is added to the menu - it is always used in the morning, so that mom has the opportunity during the day to notice any changes in the state of the baby;
- Between the introduction of each new product should take at least two weeks.
During lactation, nutritionists recommend to use light honey varieties - acacia, clover, alfalfa, raspberry, cypress, melissa, sunflower, apple. They are considered less allergenic. Each variety is introduced into the diet separately.
If mother and baby are not allergic to honey, there may be dark varieties in the menu - May (especially useful), buckwheat, chicory, burdock, chestnut, heather, meadow (from the flowers of raznotravya), forest (from different honey-bearing trees). Dark honey is distinguished by its tonic and antibacterial properties.
Due to the high content of sugars in it, honey can have a destructive effect on tooth enamel. Therefore, after its use it is necessary to rinse the mouth cavity with warm boiled water. This will help avoid the development of caries.
Raw honey, pasteurized, heated
Previously, it was believed that living (or raw) honey can be infected with spores of Clostridium botulinum, which, when ingested, cause a dangerous disease of botulism. Pasteurized honey to neutralize pathogenic microflora in it. But then scientists have proven that the product contains natural antibiotics that prevent the reproduction of pathogens.
Therefore, when breastfeeding you should not be afraid to use raw honey that has not been exposed to high temperatures - you cannot get anything from it. In this sense, it is completely safe. Moreover, the heating of honey above 40 ° C leads to the loss of useful qualities. And if the honey is heated above 60 ° C, it will begin to emit a toxic substance oxymethylfurfural. It is recommended to add honey to warm (up to 40 ° C) dishes and drinks, and melt the crystallized (candied) product is possible only in a water bath.Natural honey flows in a continuous thin stream
How to choose honey
It is important to be able to distinguish real high-quality honey from counterfeit - on the market it is considered one of the most frequently falsified products. Allergic reactions in adults and children can be due not to individual sensitivity, but to the use of honey containing chemical additives or antibiotics.
Table: we buy honey - signs of a natural quality product
|Criterias of choice||Quality Honey||Substandard honey|
|Weight||1 liter weighs 1.4 kg or more||1 l weighs less than 1.4 kg|
|Maturity||Mature contains 20% water (test on a napkin - there will be no wet spot around a drop of honey)||Unripe contains more than 20% water (test on a napkin - a wet halo will be clearly visible around a drop of honey on a napkin)|
|Consistency||Homogeneous, moderately viscous, with a wooden stick flows in a continuous thin stream||It has a heterogeneous structure, can be stratified, forms a liquid syrup on the surface, drips from a wooden stick|
|Color, transparency||Fresh transparent, has a light or dark amber shade, depending on the variety||It has a hazy tint, usually light yellow, if a drop of iodine is added to an aqueous solution (1 tsp. Honey per 100 ml of water), the solution turns blue — this test identifies starch as an additive.|
|Aroma||Saturated honey or flower - depending on the variety||Mild, undefined, or, conversely, overly flavored|
|Crystallization||It thickens with time, grows turbid, sugar crystals are distinctly felt in it, and the specific weight of the product changes - candied thick honey always weighs less than fresh liquid||It thickens very quickly, many times faster than natural, liquid syrup appears on the surface.|
It is better to buy honey from famous beekeepers; when choosing, do not hesitate to try the product and conduct quality tests.
Video: honey - natural dessert (Elena Malysheva)
Methods of use and application
Due to the fact that the use of honey during lactation is limited to a very small amount, they are often sweetened with teas, compotes, cocktails, used as an additive in cereals or desserts, they make casseroles and fruit salads with it, bake homemade baking.
Do not forget about the healing properties of honey. As part of the recipes of traditional medicine, it is effective for colds and insomnia. It is used externally for lactostasis and to improve skin condition However, before using folk remedies with honey, you should certainly get a qualified consultation from your doctor and clarify the dosage.In tea with honey, you can add lemon, ginger, milk, medicinal herbs permitted in HB
Tea with honey
It has tonic, antiviral, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, immunostimulating, lactogenic properties. When breastfeeding it is better to choose high-quality large-leaf black or green tea and brew it weak. Honey is added to warm tea. Or drink a drink with honey while drinking.
- purified water, boiling water - 200-300 ml;
- tea - medium leaf or large leaf - 1 tsp. (2-4 g depending on the variety);
- light honey varieties - 1 tsp. (8-10 g depending on the variety);
- lemon (in the absence of allergy), mint (lemon balm) or milk - to taste.
- In the teapot pour the tea leaves.
- Pour boiling water.
- To insist under the lid for 10-15 minutes - the strength of the drink will depend on the time of brewing.
- Pour tea into 2/3 in a cup, and 1/3 of the volume filled with boiled water or milk.
- You can put in a cup a slice of lemon or a few mint leaves (lemon balm).
- Allow the tea to cool to 40 ° C and only then add honey to it.
Кормящей маме можно есть домашний медовик и другую медовую выпечку
Чтобы стимулировать выработку и отток грудного молока за полчаса до кормления малыша следует выпивать чашку тёплого слабо заваренного чая с 1 ч. л. мёда. Добавление в чай мелиссы, ромашки, фенхеля, аниса, корня имбиря, липы усилит его лактогенный эффект. Только сначала нужно по всем правилам грудного вскармливания ввести травы в рацион и убедиться в отсутствии у мамы и малыша на них аллергии.
Можно ли кормящей маме медовую выпечку
Homemade sweets usually appear in the menu of a nursing mother 3-4 months after the birth of the baby. When honey is already present in the diet, you can sometimes try to pamper yourself with honey pastries made with your own hands. It is better to refuse cakes and pastries acquired at the store during lactation - they may contain harmful chemical additives in the composition.
Honey cake? And why not, if you eat it little by little and infrequently - at first enjoy it in very small pieces and gradually increase the portion. Nursing mother for 1 time you can eat up to 100-150 g of homemade cake.
Dietary honey cake - recipe
Contains relatively few calories. As new products are introduced into the menu, the recipe can be supplemented with fruits, berries, and nuts. The composition of the cream may vary: sour cream, cottage cheese, low-fat yogurt are suitable for its preparation. You can also cook homemade custard on milk.
- carrots - grate - 1 pc. medium (75 g);
- chicken egg protein - 1 pc .;
- milk - non-fat, pasteurized - 5 tbsp. l (75 ml);
- acacia honey - or any other light varieties - 1 tbsp. l (27-30 g) in the dough and for the cream 1.5 tbsp. l (sugar can be added to the cream in a 1: 2 ratio);
- oatmeal flour - you can grind flakes in a coffee grinder - 2 tbsp. l (14g);
- starch - you can take potato or corn - 1 tbsp. l (about 30 g);
- baking powder - 1.5 tsp. (8 g);
- salt - 2 g (pinch);
- butter for greasing the pan - 25 g;
- low-fat cottage cheese for cream - 100 g;
- yogurt or sour cream - 2 tsp. (20 g);
- lemon peel (if not allergic) - 1/3;
- 45 ml of water and 10 g of honey to soak the cakes.
- Beat the protein with salt, gradually add honey (1 tbsp.) And milk to the mass.
- Add grated carrot, oatmeal, pre-blended baking powder and starch.
- Knead the dough well and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat greased baking sheet.
- Spread dough evenly over it.
- Bake at 180 ° C until cooked (15-20 min.).
- While the cake is in the oven, cook the cream - beat the cottage cheese with yogurt and honey, add the zest.
- After the cake has cooled, cut it into 4 pieces.
- Soak them in impregnation, let it brew.
- Spread each piece with cream, assemble the cake. Fruits, berries, nuts can be laid between the cake layers.
Milk with honey for HB drink from colds and insomnia, as well as to improve lactation
Decorates honey cake each to your liking. Before serving, the cake should be infused and soaked in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Milk with honey
A glass of warm milk with 1 tsp. Honey, drunk before bedtime - a well-known folk remedy for insomnia, fatigue and depression. Milk-honey drink, which is drunk half an hour before feedings, helps to increase the secretion and outflow of breast milk from the mammary glands. Milk with honey and cold is effective - the drink has a bactericidal, anti-inflammatory, softening, immunostimulating, expectorant effect.
With ARVI and acute respiratory infections, cough, sore throat to enhance the effect in a milky-honey drink (200-250 ml warm milk, 1 tsp. Honey) add:
- 0.5 tsp. food soda - relieves pain in the throat;
- 0.5 tsp. butter, goat (badger, goose) fat - soothe the throat, soothe dry barking cough;
- 50 ml of oatmeal broth - helps stop an obsessive cough;
- whipped egg yolk - envelops the pharynx mucosa, removes tickling in the throat;
- Freshly squeezed vegetable juices (onion, garlic, black radish, carrot, beet, pumpkin) - have bactericidal properties, strengthen local immunity;
- decoctions of medicinal herbs (peppermint, anise seed) - as a distracting therapy, to relieve discomfort in the nasopharynx.
Honey massage after childbirth helps to restore slim figure
They drink potions with milk and honey 3-5 times a day, 50 ml until the symptoms of the disease disappear. When breastfeeding, each ingredient must be pre-tested for individual intolerance, introduced into the diet according to all rules of HB.
Local application of honey is effective in inflammatory diseases of the skin, mucous, muscle tissue. It has a cleansing and analgesic, bactericidal and anti-inflammatory, wound healing and resolving effect. It causes blood flow to a sore spot, enhancing local immunity, speeding up metabolism, stimulating the restoration of damaged tissues.
Externally, honey is used in the form of lubrications, dressings, compresses, applications, washes, inhalations, baths and baths:
- with dermatitis, skin rashes;
- when infected cut or torn, bruised wounds;
- in acute or chronic rhinitis and sinusitis;
- pharyngitis and laryngitis;
- varicose veins;
- for gynecological diseases;
- with lactostasis.
Honey compresses help relieve inflammation of the mammary glands during lactostasis
To accelerate recovery from angina, the mucosa of the oropharynx (including the tonsils) is smeared with honey several times a day. A honey massage helps to activate the metabolism in the subcutaneous layer and is used after childbirth to restore the former slim figure, get rid of cellulite, stretch marks and extra pounds.
Honey with milk stagnation
Lactostasis - milk stagnation - often causes inflammation of the mammary glands and the development of mastitis. Warm honey compresses are used to relieve pain and resorption of the nodules in the sites of engorgement. They help to avoid the development of the inflammatory process and restore the normal outflow of milk from the mammary glands.
The procedure is effective in primary developing stagnation (lactostasis). It can not be carried out with a significant increase in body temperature and mastitis. Flapjacks with honey impose simultaneously on both mammary glands.
How to make a compress?
- Knead from rye flour and honey (1: 1) steep dough. Ingredients need to be taken in such an amount that it was possible to form 2 flatbreads that will cover each breast completely, from the hollow to the armpits.
- Heat the cakes in a water bath so that they become warm, but not hot.
- Put the cakes on the entire surface of the mammary glands.
- Cover with cling film, wrap with a towel.
- After 20-30 minutes, remove the scones.
- Take a warm shower.
- Make a breast massage and express milk from each breast (or feed the baby).
- Apply a special cream or oil to the skin of the breast.
For the preparation of cakes, you can use equal amounts of any flour, honey, aloe juice, butter. Honey procedures are allowed to be carried out from the first days after childbirth, in the period of the formation of lactation. Local application of honey does not affect the composition of breast milk.
A useful recipe from the author. After the birth of my son, the problem of engorgement of the breast and milk stagnation arose in me literally for 3-4 days. Did massage, often fed the child. And at night I was advised to apply cabbage leaves, smeared with honey, to the mammary glands. Previously they need to be doused with boiling water and chopped with a fork in order to let the juice. Then smear with honey and put on each breast. Cover with food film (if there is no film, regular plastic bags will do) and carefully wrap the chest with a towel or scarf. I adapted my mother's shawl for these purposes - it warms very well. Before feeding the cabbage leaves I took off - they looked like dry rags. I don’t know where the juice and honey went, but the effect of such compresses surprised and pleased me. The breast became noticeably softer, it did not hurt, it was not hot. I washed it with warm water, massaged it and then applied my son. I am sure that it was thanks to these compresses and massages that the process of lactation formation was much easier for me.Compresses from the cabbage leaf with honey are effective at engaging the mammary glands at the stage of the formation of lactation
She ate both during pregnancies and on GV eating. Honey must be introduced into your diet, like any other product, and look at the reaction. My children reacted well, but, really, we are not allergic.
My both poured on honey, but only if I ate more than the norm. And my norm is half a teaspoon a day.
I eat honey, more than a teaspoon a day, from my daughter's month. I would have eaten it before, but I don’t really like honey, and I was forbidden to sugar, but they allowed honey. Store honey, not from own apiary. The skin is clean, there is no rash.
Because of honey, my daughter's body was pouring out with small red dots. We diagnosed atopic dermatitis, we were almost 2 months old. Although I tried a microdose, I no longer eat.
I eat, we have no allergies. After three months, I started typing everything on the sly.
Honey during breastfeeding is possible and necessary. However, before introducing it into the diet of a nursing mother, you should make sure that she and the baby are not allergic to this product or have other contraindications. It is important to follow the recommended daily allowance. And also remember that honey can not be heated above 40 ° C, otherwise it will not only lose its beneficial properties, but may also become harmful to the body.